"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it, so it goes on flying anyway. "
-Mary Kay Ash

Sunday 26 May 2013

To Infinity and Beyond!


Hi Everyone!

The National championships in Victoria this year did not go so well for me. I think it was definitely more of a metal problem rather then physical because I had been training so hard the whole year. With the exception of my first route I climbed, on every other route I just did not feel like I normally do. I was not climbing with my normal confidence and I could tell this from the second my feet left the ground.

So the reason I am deciding to share this blog post with you guys is that I think I will get a sense of closure from what happened at Nationals this year, and I will be able to move on and take this experience as a good one! So here it goes..

I believe that you can take failure in two ways. You can either give up on yourself and say this sucks I am never going to do this again or you can take it in stride and use it to your advantage; as motivation and this is exactly what I am doing.


First Quali-photo creds Kevin Segedi@segedi.com
A few days ago I came across two videos one was about Lynn hill and the other one featured Huji Hirayama (both movie links below) despite the differences in the movies I found that I took away the same message after watching both movies. It was to just enjoy climbing. To be one with the rock, to just get into the flow and movement and to forget about the end goal or about getting to the top of the route on an onsight attempt. I think this is exactly what I forgot to do last weekend.

Yuji Hirayama Video
Lynn Hill-Patience and Climbing Video



So in the end what did I learn from my Nationals experience this year? Things don't always work out the way you would like them to. But that's okay because if you learn from your mistakes you will come back even stronger then before.
And I always remember that when life gives you lemons make fruit punch!

I would also like to take this time to thank everyone that has supported me this year, especially my parents, my teammates, my incredible sister who by the way crushed at Nationals, and my amazing coaches! I had an amazing year of competing and I am looking forward to this summer which will be filled with outdoor climbing and of course fun!!! :)

Stay tuned for another post to come soon,

Becca :)






















No comments:

Post a Comment